Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Heather Crafts: Blue Bell Jars

So I totally spazzed and flipped out on this craft blog link and then came up with my own ideas for a beach sign and decoration:

http://www.thesinglenester.com/2011/07/handmade-blue-ball-jars-and-floral.html



I am always saving spaghetti and candle glass jars because I know I will always find something different and fun to do with them. Vintage Blue Bell jars are very hard to find, and usually are pricey at about 10 dollars a jar. Then ones I have now: I got lucky and scored 6 of them for 3 dollars each at a flea market last year and 1 at Goodwill for 99 cents.

I made 3 of my own "blue" jars to make a grouping of three jars with my beach sign.

Then I found an old beat up square of wood at about 10 by 10 in my garage already painted cream and chippy from last year from a project that I didn't finish. I thinly added some of the leftover bluish glue mixture to tint it.

Then I dug up a seashell from the family beach trip last year. I hot glued on the seashell on the wood sign on the side purposely hanging off a bit, and a clip I had around the house in the middle.

Then I added a beach picture to the clip from my stash of beach pictures.

Then I digi created this photo from digi scraps and elements from my photoshop files into this:


I glued the beach picture I made onto the wood sign and sealed it with clear matte spray paint.

Then I tore a strip of white cotton from an old shirt in my fabric stash and tie it around the center of the frame.

So this is my total result, a fun beach memory in the foyer:




So what do ya think? What Blue Bell or vintage Bell jar projects do you have around your house?

3 comments:

Tracie said...

No vintage Bell jar projects for me. I'm the opposite of crafty. The things you think of doing just blows me away.

natalie christensen said...

Looks great! I have no skills in the photo shop, Maybe one day I will get around to working on that.

Marci said...

You are so creative! I love the old jar that Makenzi brought home from activity days with the chores in it.
Oh, about Dotti, she was getting too excited every time someone came over so Spencer's sister has her now.