Sunday, July 1, 2012

July Thrifty Decorating


Thrifty July Decorating by Shopping your House and Using Supplies on Hand:

First I had some stars in the flag theme that I was tired of. I spray painted some in aqua and I love it. Here is an aqua star on top of some vintage frogs in front of an old box:


I put some flags I had on hand in a vintage Bell jar, set out a candle I made years ago, and used things around my house to make a grouping of items in patriotic colors:


The star here was from a plant pole that broke off, so here it is decorating the front of my vintage cheese cloche with fake apples in it, and the plates were items I had on hand scored from thrift shops which are a silver plate, milglass plate, and a basket weave plant stand thingie:


Many of you know about the wreath above my piano. It gets a new center made every month with a magnet to change it out. The month of July I found a patriotic muffin cup I had on hand, and spray painted old broken jewelry I had on hand (the flower) to make this center:



Here is the piano mantel. I put out everything that I shopped my house with: two milkglass compote dishes and some white candles. Two vintage cheese cloches that had vintage clothes paper patterns cut up in them:


My milkglass collections got a bit of patriotic updates with ribbons, a flag sign, and a wood apple that I had on hand:


My vintage gumball machine had a blue star (from an old scout project) I unearthed from my box of scrips and scraps of junky fun stuff and I painted it blue and inserted it:


My apothecary station got a frame I dug out and painted it aqua blue. Added a flag, two red wood strawberries, and a scrapbook emphermera: a bingo card. The jars were left plain this month:


This is the major update. I took down a metal thingie I used to have there on the wall for years and put up a large chunky wood frame I scored from the thrift shop for $6. I painted it cream. I have plans to do fun stuff and decorate this wall for the next few months. This month for July I just added a book wreath I made with a patriotic themed center, the other two metal stars I painted aqua blue. I also painted a scrap piece of wood aqua blue, glued on a strip of canvas, then I traced on stars and painted them red and one blue star and hung it up on the wall: 


(tip for above: I use small nails and try to hang up lightweight items so I don't have obvious big holes on the wall from my frequent changing around decorations. Every 3 months I touch up the walls with paint that I keep in the kitchen pantry with a small brush ready to go)


The metal frame in the photo below used to be on the wall in the photo above. I found it a new home on this shelf above the foyer window. I just added a flag in the vintage sewing bobbin I have there:


I made a banner with leftover upholstery ribbon I had on hand. They just happen to be in the colors that match my house: canvas and burlap tan, and red. I made a star template and dabbed on some blue paint. Then I glued the starry squares onto twine, and hung in up in my foyer:



I made a mini banner with patriotic flag muffin cups I had on hand and hung it on a vintage wood window frame. The heart and star sign is a project I made 3 years ago. This is the bookcase mantel I have in the living room:


This old vintage candlestick got a makeover in aqua blue spray paint. Then I just put in two twine balls I had on hand in the candle holders:


The chalkboard that has been up in my kitchen for months got a new message: School is Out!


The vintage cheese domed cloche in my kitchen just got wadded up leftovers from my bookwreath projects. I like the look of the textures and colors. The wood plate end got spray painted in aqua, then I added a vintage red and white enamelware  plate I had on hand to complete the patriotic color theme:


This is a vintage embroidered tablecloth I found years ago. Its in red, white, and blue colors and perfect for displaying on my dining room window for a bit of patriotic colors and fun:


So that's it for July decorating. I keep it simple and shop my house for items, and update with a bit of spray paint or even a bit of fabric, scrapbook supplies, or ribbon. No need to spend money to decorate your house each month. I challenge you to try it sometime. :o)

No comments: