Monday, September 3, 2012

Mom Stardate 08312012

So lately I have been catching up on all the episodes of Star Trek Next Generation on Netflix.

The show opened up on TV in 1987. That would put me at age 13. The show was phenomenally popular for its 7 seasons, but for some reason I didn't follow the show. I was too busy watching shows such as "V", Little House on the Prarie, all the coolest 80's cartoons, Silver Spoon, and Saved by the Bell.

Plus I didn't have captioning available through the use of a closed captioned machine that was the thing back in the day. So TV wasn't too fun to get involved in.

Fast forward to 1996. I had been married a year and just given birth to my first child. I didn't have cable, but I had a couple copper wires snaked into the TV and dangled up in the air and finally taped to the ceiling. I was able to get about 4 channels, two which were more clear and not too fuzzy, and captioning was readable.

At around noon when I fed my newborn Seth his bottle, I would watch TV. And it happened to be Star Trek Next Generation. And I got hooked on the show. AND super confused because the episodes didn't always go in an orderly manner, or it made references to previous episodes, in which of course I didn't see those episodes. Nevertheless I enjoyed myself.

Fast forward to 2012. I spend my free time catching up on old shows on Netflix. I started with STNG in the month of July during school summer break. And I became utterly completely obsessed. My parents would be proud of me. Their kid is finally a Trekkie fan.

Surprisingly my two younger kids Leah and Matthew started watching STNG with me. And they LOVED it. Our favorite episodes were the ones that centered around Data. Oh my, how that character just made us laugh. Our second favorites were the "scarier" ones that revolved around the Borg.

It has come to my attention as of yesterday that Matthew is a true Trekkie fan. He has been busy building a ship platform, two helms, Captain Picard, Data, and a Captains chair with his Legos. He also built a palm head tricorder with a true flip cap. He likes to pretend to scan the house for life forms, check air quality, decipher energy readings. He plans to build a phaser next.

So now we can't get enough Star Trek. I watched Season 1-5 of STNG, and then freaked out when I realized that Season 6 and 7 are not subtitled on Netflix. I am now busy looking for the last two seasons to purchase on craigslist or Ebay. On Amazon, it is 58 dollars per season, no thank you very much.

I am currently trying to decide if I will watch Deep Space Nine. I haven't finished the first episode yet, and haven't decided if I like it or not. I am sorely missing my STNG. Mostly probably because I haven't gotten my closure from the show yet.

For now, I am just enjoying lots of Trekkie humor in the house. As of this morning I opened my desktop on the computer and found a Trekkie photo of Captain Picard holding a Log (captions log). Seth apparently is having a good time teasing me about my Trekkie obssession.

Well..not that obsessed. I don't have any Trekkie costumes, or plan to attend any Trekkie conventions or start a Trekkie group club.

Live Long and Prosper!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Space the final frontier! Watch the new star trek movie with Chris pyne. If you've watched the older trek movies you'll enjoy this one. Live long and prosper.