Monday, May 17, 2010

I Am A Litterbug

Yeah. You did read that one right.

But before you gasp and think so badly of me, please read my story first.

I confess that I have a small litterbug habit. It is done in the name of protecting myself from fraud.

Everytime I go to the bank or other such place that usually gives you a receipt complete with your name, account number, and sometimes your address...that is pretty much playing with fire having pieces of paper like that floating around in your car to land somewhere on the ground.

So I panic and think someone is going to withdraw my entire savings account with hardly any effort...

So instead of my little 2 by 3 reciepts added to the landfill dump along with shredded important documents and files, I tear off about a 1 by 1 inch piece that has my name and account number. Then I rip that tiny square of paper it into supertiny pieces. Then while driving along the road, I let them fly out the window a few pieces at a time.

Now keep in mind: I don't do this with the mail and documents that arrive at my house. Just with the small receipts while in town, usually the bank, the tend to end up in the catch-all "trash receptacle" thingie on the side of the car door.

I don't feel too badly about it. These miniscule pieces of paper will eventually disintegrate into the dirt in a couple days. Okay, maybe a couple of weeks.

Yes, yes, I know. If EVERYONE did it, then our highways will be covered with dirty paper snowpiles.

Do you think I deserve this to happen to me below?
Oh! Did ya hear? I am in a new upcoming movie with Donald Duck:



The good news is that my litterbug habit is more than balanced out with my efforts to recycle. I get mad at my kids if I even see a small cracker box in the trash can instead of the recycle bin. I recycle things into projects. I upcycle old clothes into cute craft projects. ETC and ETC.

Besides the Pima County of Arizona are worse litterbugs than me! This morning I found a big fat phone book on the edge of my sidewalk. I NEVER asked for it! And it was at the sidewalk of every house, including the vacant ones. Who uses phone books nowadays with the choice of using the internet wealth of information at our fingertips?

Well, guess I got to think of something to do to recycle that phone book into something cool!

At the risk of sounding like a buggy hypocrite, here is my good service announcement for the day:
Yes, I know. Craft project coming up. I just need to get my pictures uploaded....

3 comments:

Tracie said...

Heather you take paranoia to a new level. ;) I just use a shredder for anything that has any personal information on it.

I'm trying to recycle more. Utah doesn't have too many good programs for it. I recycle my plastic bags & plastic bottles at Walmart. I also do my best to never throw anything away that someone else can use. I either sell it, give it away, or donate to DI. I'm not as crafty as you in the upcycling.

My goals someday are to own an environmentally friendly home (solar panels and such) with recycling bins and a compost heap. I also want to own an electric or hybrid car.

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Tracie-

those are very great goals, hope you get them someday.

HayLee said...

yeah, a little paranoid. haha. I don recycle ever. Vernal has no recycling choices unless you want to pay extra money for it which i just think it is ridiculous. I do do the walmart hing thought that Tracie does.