Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Just be Secretly Super!

Son: I want to be an Avatar for Halloween.

Me: Avatar? Is that stuff even out?

(checking Amazon..)

Avatar ears: 8 bucks


Avatar costume: 34 bucks


Avatar teeth: 8 bucks

Umm...you can just forget it.

Me: That is way too much money. Raid the costume bin.

I am not one of those moms that squeal when the costumes come out on August 31st and start planning the Halloween matching outfits for all my kiddies. I avoid all issues with costumes when I can.

However I don't mind being creative and whipping something quick and simple, and it still turns out just fabulous. Sometimes it just requires some quick and witty remarks to sway a child to another opinion in your favor.

Me: Hey! Why not a quarterback? You have the ENTIRE football Dallas cowboy equipment from your shoulder pads to your cleats.

Son: No. I want to be a SUPERHERO. A Suuuppperrr-heerrrroo. (as if I am not understanding the very direct super importance of being a superhero)

Me: hmmm, you have a Ironman, Batman, and Superman stuff in your bin.

Son: Booorrrringg! I want a NEW superhero.

Me: Hey! Why not Clark Kent?

Son: Uhh??

Me: You know, from Smallville. (we have been watching season 9 on DVD the last couple of days)

Me: You can be a SUPER SECRET Superhero! In disguise! Be Clark Kent! You know, with the superman shirt under your church shirt! (speaking persuasively)

Son: Okay!!!!!

Me: (thinking: whew! crisis adverted! I just saved myself 40 bucks on a costume!)

Me: Let me check Amazon. There! Three bucks for Clark Kent glasses and free shipping!

Son: (beaming and beaming)

Aren't I just the coolest mom??



By the way: Smallville rules and Clark Kent is the best!!!

2 comments:

TrishAnderson said...

AWESOME!!!! I love moments like these!

Jueneta said...

Love the dialog. We think Clark Kent is awesome too.