Monday, November 1, 2010

Mummy's Apothecary

Hi gals-

Some of you have seen how I have done Santa's Apothecary last year. Throughout the year I changed things in the jars of the old soda crate to each month's theme. I used items around the house. Most were easily from my scrapbook and craft stash from my office.

For Halloween I just put in some paper bag colored crinkles from the Dollar Tree, and the rattan balls from the Dollar tree, which I plan to move around into different projects. Plus I used a bag of candy corn from the Dollar Tree.

I shopped my house for Halloween decors and changed things around to make it fun. With more and more money being put into my kids extracurricular activities (football, wrestling, dance, piano, gymnastics, baseball) I am having to find ways to be thrifty with the crafts and decorating. I actually enjoy the challenge, and I love scouring thrift markets to find new trash to treasures for decorating, clothing my kids, and stuff like that.

Here are my ideas for this years Halloween:

Mummy's Apothecary:


Stuffing bits and pieces of things I had into containers:



I put the rattan balls into an antique muffin tin I got out from my kitchen decorations and filled old jam jars with beans and such:



I took my collection of metal gumball machines and interspersed it with the pumpkins we picked from the patch to be carved for later:




I save my candle jars for whatever project may come up. This time I put in paper bag crinkles in the old candle jars. I printed out old apothecary labels and tea dyed them. Then I mod podged it to the jars and lined them up on my shelf:



And check this out! This is my splurge for my latest gumball machine craze that I got a few months ago. It sat empty for awhile and then I filled it with candy corn. It is not to be used to "buy" and eat. I will save the candy corn for next year. For Dec I will fill the container with small ornaments:



So that's basically it for Halloween decor with the exception of my front entrance where I put more stuff and effort into it.

The cost of everything for Halloween for the month of October was just the pumpkins, my son's Clark Kent glasses, and my daughter's tutu costume. About 30 dollars total. Not too bad.

4 comments:

Tracie said...

You amaze me with your creativity. Great stuff! Now you just need to come to my house and tell me how to decorate for the seasons.

Marci said...

Love your decor!

TrishAnderson said...

You are ALWAYS so incredibly talented. You inspire me.

Cassie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it :) You're amazing!